The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Interview With Eddie Varley!


In September, I interviewed Eddie Varley from "Into The Weeds" I hope you like the interview. Since interviewing Eddie, I have found a lot more about this fantastic man. He is not only one of the nicest people on the planet but also, a very talented artist. You can see his work on my blog. He did all of the fabulous cartoons of me!
You can catch Eddie, in his latest show on March 18th, with David Gurland at the Laurie Beechman Theater.

Corine Cohen Talks to Eddie Varley of Into the Weeds

Photographed by
Maryann Lopinto

To Catch Eddie's newest show on March 18th call: 212-695-6909



Corine Cohen: Tell me how you got involved with Into The Weeds.

Eddie Varley: Bill Weeden is one of my dearest friends, we've had a long time
creative friendship too, we've been in several shows together, we did Little Shop of Horrors and stuff in the past. While he's a wonderful actor he's also a gifted composer. Last year I was lucky enough to be a part of the cast of his musical Move It and It's Yours, we did a short run of it at the Passage Theater in New Jersey. The cast was so talented: Natalie Joy Johnson; Dann Fink; Patti Mariano; Jeffrey Thompson; and two members of our Into The Weeds cast - Amanda Weeden and John Skocik. We had a blast doing it. Jeff Cohen our director on Move It has a real passion for Bill's music so he came up with the idea for a little revue of the "Weeden" songbook. So he and Bill worked it up and it all came together in a very special way. Jeff brought his love of the music and his considerable skills as an actor’s director to the rehearsals and it all flowed quite easily. We are blessed with an AMAZING cast: Melissa;Ted; Hilary; Kristen; John, Grey; Michael; are all just so brilliant, everyone has a moment to shine. And having Bill actually performing with us is a gift from the musical theater gods,
he's a true original!






Corine Cohen: When did you want to be an actor?

Eddie Varley: Ever since I saw The Three Stooges as a little kid, I knew then I
wanted to make people laugh. It's a long journey when you start out, but the journey is really the reward. The people I've met along the way continue to inspire me.

Corine Cohen: Do you think they will extend the project?

Eddie: The great news is we've been extended for the foreseeable future! Dan
Brown, a powerhouse producer who's done major shows in Atlantic City, came and saw the show and jumped right in, so it looks like we'll be spending Saturday nights at the Laurie Beechman Theater at the West Bank Cafe for many weekends to come! We all couldn't be happier, the venue is truly perfect for the show and Kenny and the staff treat us like family. I'm also excited people will continue to get a chance to hear Bill's music performed, he deserves all the best.

Corine Cohen: I had a great time at the show. It was charming. What do you want to do next?

Eddie: I'm so glad you were able to come see it, it's sort of an old fashioned
evening, we all just are having a party celebrating Bill's songbook with the audience. As for what's next, I've got some fun possibilities on the horizon, let's keep our fingers crossed that they'll happen! Hah.

Corine: Fingers crossed! What is your favorite Broadway show?

Eddie: Wow, that is a hard one, I enjoy everything! Jersey Boys is thrilling!
The Producers is still a hoot and Hairspray always makes me feel good inside, that finale is AMAZING! The show that is closest to my heart is The Phantom of the Opera, I remember seeing it when it first opened, Michael Crawford was such a wonder in the title role, he gave the character such passion and poetry. I know people knock it but the music is so beautiful and transporting, I guess it will always be my favorite.