The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Monday, March 12, 2007

BROADWAY FOR MEDICINE BENEFIT, CITY CENTER


Just came back from the Broadway For Medicine Benefit at City Center:

I thought I would give you my top favorite numbers and a few that were not so great.
Let's start with the best and than discuss the 'wicked' numbers! (Tongue in cheek, not this time)

1. I love Charles Busch. Especially when Charles is in drag! Charles is my favorite drag queen!!! He is such a beautiful and sophisticated lady! And sadly, he looks better in a dress than me. (VERY DEPRESSING AND VERY TRUE) I loved his long black gown with the pink lining (Was it Issac Mizrahi? for Target, just kidding)
He had the audience in hysterical laughter. He really needs to do more of this at benefits. He was my favorite of the night. I eat him and Julie's schtick up (No matter how many times I see it, I can never get enough)
Charles performed a number called the Stepmother and it was really funny.


2. Betty Buckley- Singing "Memory" I never cared for "Cats" but this song is gorgeous, especially when Betty sings it. I could have listened to her all night.

3. Donna McKechnie was outstanding singing her famous number from the original "A Chorus Line" and she proved that she still has it over 20 years later. She is incredible and stopped the show.

And now for something 'wicked.'

1. Is Debbie Gibson trying to land the role of Glinda the good? Is she trying to become "POPULAR?" (Her outfit a pink taffeta number looked like the exact costume of Glinda the good and it looked very silly with Dorothy's magic slippers. I wanted to say there is no place like home and wished she stayed there)

On the whole this concert was magical. Other terrific numbers were performed by:
Manoel Felicano, I can never get enough of his gorgeous voice. Hugh Panaro performed a show stopper with Lisa Vroman singing "Make Our Garden Grow" and Malcom Gets wowed us with "Way Ahead Of My Time"

Photo Joan Marcus (Forbidden Broadway SVU) Used as it reminded me of Debbie Gibson's Glinda outfit.
Review by Corine Dana Cohen for Corine's Corner.