The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Friday, October 26, 2007

Kevin Cahoon- A Man Who Plays Interesting Characters!


Who will be appearing in The Baker’s Wife at The York Theater this weekend. Tickets are still available for Saturday but Friday and Sunday are sold out.
To get tickets: Box Office: (212) 935-5820.

Photo of Kevin as George in The Wedding Singer by Joan Marcus.

Singer, songwriter, actor Kevin Cahoon and his band Ghetto Cowboy have become one of the most buzzed about new music events in New York City's downtown music scene, having played packed shows in such venues as Irving Plaza, CBGB's, Don Hill's, Ars Nova, Joe's Pub, among others. Their debut album 'Doll' has received The Outmusic Award for Best Male Debut Recording, The Pabst Blue Ribbon NYC Band Search Award, and Honorable Mention from Billboard Magazine for it's Songwriting. Their videos for their songs 'Doll' and 'Fashionista' can be seen in rotation on LOGO.



As an actor, Kevin has appeared on Broadway in 'The Who's Tommy', Ed the hyena in the Original Cast of 'The Lion King', 'The Rocky Horror Show', The Child
catcher in 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang', and George in 'The Wedding Singer'. Off-Broadway credits include the role of Phil D'Armano in Manhattan Theatre Clubs' production of 'The Wild Party', Hedwig in 'Hedwig and The Angry Inch, and Ellard in The Roundabout Theatre's production of 'The Foreigner' for which he received a Lucille Lortel Award Nomination. Numerous regional theatre, television, and film credits include The Guthrie Theatre, Ross Rothman on ABC's 'Six Degrees', and Woody Allen's 'The Curse of the Jade Scorpion'. (From www.kevincahoon.com)





Corine Cohen: Hi,Kevin when did you know you wanted to be a singer/actor?



Kevin Cahoon: I grew up doing it. I did my first commercial at nine. My first professional theater at age 10 and when I was 13 I won Star Search.(Teen) That sort of introduced me to New York and I auditioned for things in New York.



Corine Cohen: WOW! I wish I saw you in that. Where did you grow up?



Kevin: In Houston.



Corine: Hedwig is one of my favorite productions.



Kevin: It has an incredible score! And an incredible story!



Corine: Was that your favorite role?



Kevin: You know, it was the biggest challenge and I was 27, I guess at the time. I had left Lion King.



Corine: You don’t look like you are older than 27 now!



Kevin: Well, thanks!! I’m not. (Laughs) I was in Lion King and I went on my night off to see Hedwig. And I auditioned and left the Lion King to go and do that.



Corine: You should have done the movie!



Kevin: I would have loved to have been. I know it was a lot of Canadian actors because they shot it in Canada!

I did it in New York and then I opened the Boston company and than back in New York. While, I was rehearsing The Wild Party during the day and then would do Hedwig at night.



Corine: I thought I saw you in that!



Kevin: At MTC. And then I did the Edinburgh Festival.



Corine: Wow.



Kevin: And then I opened in San Francisco and it kept getting extended so I was there for 8 months. So I had a little journey with Hedwig.

Corine: So, it was the most challenging role? What would you say was your favorite role?



Kevin: It would have to be Hedwig or Ellard in the Foreigner at the Roundabout Theater Company. With Matthew Broderick and Frances Sternhagen. It was not a musical it was a play. I am endeared to both of those characters. I love both shows. They have such heart. A huge, huge heart! You have Hedwig who has sacrificed everything for freedom and love and then you have Ellard who is just dying for attention and love and Ellard blossoms and Hedwig does too, moving forward at the end.



Corine: Tell me about The Wedding Singer! I was dying to interview you when you were in The Wedding Singer!



Kevin: I loved doing Wedding Singer! It was fun to play George.



Corine: Tell me about your band Ghetto Cowboy!



Kevin: We have one CD that was released Nationwide called

DOLL. It was great, we had such great distribution and such great press. I love playing the live shows at Joe’s Pub, The Ars Nova and all those great venues.



Corine: Tell me about Rocky Horror! Do you relate to Franknfurter?



Kevin: The great thing about Rocky Horror is you have the liberty to go with anything that comes your way. With Rocky Horror it is really anything goes! And there is an element of danger with it.



Corine: I saw you in the recent benefit. I loved the costumes that MP did for the show.



Kevin: They were great. We put that show together in a day so…

Corine: You didn’t look it. You were so fantastic in the role. I wish I had seen you in the role on Broadway. Did you ever get a Drama Desk Award?



Kevin: No. I did get a Lortel nomination for the Foreigner. And then I did Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.



Corine: I saw you in that. It was my nephew's first Broadway show and he loved it!



Kevin: Was he scared?



Corine: He was three years old. He was. But he loved it. He loves the bad guys and wanted to get you. It was so hysterical. You were really scary in that. The make up and costume was really frightening. Was it fun?



Kevin: It was a blast! That company was so wonderful.



Corine: How was it working with Raul Esparza?



Kevin: We have worked twice now. We did Rocky Horror and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. He’s great! Oh man, he is so talented.



Corine: You had a fun part.



Kevin: I got to fly out at the end. It was a pretty cake part. I loved it!



Corine: But Hedwig and Ellard were your favorite parts.



Kevin: Yeah. I really related to them the most. Also, I had never done a play in New York before. I always wanted to work with Roundabout so it was really cool.

Hedwig is like Hamlet for musical theater actors on so many levels. I can do Hedwig for five years and I am still learning something. I can do Hedwig, FOREVER!



Corine: I really loved you in the Wedding Singer.



Kevin: Thanks! I related to George too. He is like a unicorn.There is only one of him in his town.



Corine: I heard they were bringing it to Broadway.



Kevin: There are always rumors but nothing has come to fruition yet.



Corine: Would you want them to bring it to Broadway and you could star in the show?



Kevin: Oh my g-d. That would be incredible!!!



Corine: So do you want this message to go out to producers all over the World to bring Hedwig to Broadway? And cast you as Hedwig?



Kevin: I am sure John would want to do it. But I would love to do it!



Corine: Well, maybe he could do it four times a week and you could do it four times a week. I heard you were the only one who did it 8 times a week.



Kevin: I was. Usually you do six. It’s a punk rock score and it is very tough on the voice. You are doing everything. I did 8 for a month because there was no one to do it. There was no cover that was ready to go.



Corine: So, if I had a magic wand and could give you three wishes what would those wishes be? What roles would you play? Whatever three wishes you want.



Kevin: I just want to keep playing interesting people. That’s the key, I think! It doesn’t matter where; as long as it is interesting. This isn’t a strategic thing. I always think how can this character be a voice for people who don’t have a voice. And my CD is for people that normally don’t have a voice.



Corine: Do you have any other CD’S coming out?



Kevin: It took a long time to get it accomplished. It takes time so no not at the moment.





Corine: Did you write the music.

Kevin: I did.

Corine: I was listening to it on your website. Http://www.kevincahoon.com. I really love your voice!



Kevin: Oh, thanks! Thank you so much.





Corine: Where did you go to school?



Kevin: I studied at Circle In The Square and NYU. I loved my teachers. I also learned from my peers. You learn so much by watching. By being creative and staying open. Following impulses, that is the key.



Corine: What do you think of the current musicals running on Broadway? What did you think of Avenue Q?

Kevin: I loved Avenue Q.

Corine: Would you ever want to do something like that?

Kevin: Sure. I did Lion King. So I worked with puppets.

Corine: Did you enjoy doing the Lion King?

Kevin: I loved it. To be part of all that. To be part of the original cast over ten years ago.



Kevin will be starring in The Baker’s Wife this weekend at The York Theater. Catch him Friday- Sunday and you can also buy his CD on his website.



Thanks for doing the interview, Kevin. It was a pleasure meeting you. I am looking forward to seeing you on Broadway in the near future.