The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Interview With Megan Lewis- Forbidden Broadway Special Victims Unit!


Blast from the past!



Interview with

Megan Lewis

“Forbidden Broadway Special Victims Unit”

by Corine Cohen


For more information about Forbidden Broadway check out:

http://www.forbiddenbroadway.com


or call 212-239-6200 for tickets.

Note to readers: (This interview was done for the site in 2006.)

Forbidden Broadway SVU won the Drama Desk for Best Musical Revue.

It is a must see show! It is one of my favorite shows of all time.


Corine Cohen: Where did you grow up?

Megan Lewis: I grew up in a coastal community named Wilmington in North Carolina. My parents and my sister Katie still live there.

Corine Cohen:When did you realize theater was your calling?

Megan Lewis: I realized theatre was my calling four or five years ago when I got my first lead as Peter in Peter Pan at Winston Salem Little Theatre in North Carolina. They're an amazing community theatre group. With their support and through the audiences response, I knew that if I could love doing something this much then it must be my path.

With all the costume changes, are there any funny disasters backstage that you can share?

Every night is a potential funny disaster backstage. The funniest times are usually when we're in such a hurry to get back onstage we forget to remove a piece from our last number. I forget my bloomers a lot and Ron Bohmer has gone on as Alfred Molina in Fiddler on the Roof with a huge earring left over from Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray.

Corine Cohen:I never saw Ron with Edna earrings, that is funny! I heard you were discovered at an open call and was hired to be Christine Pedi's understudy and Christine got sick and you became an instant Forbidden Broadway hit. How did that feel? Tell me about it in detail.

Megan Lewis: Preparing for opening weekend was a rollercoaster ride because we were all pulling for Christine to get well. I was originally hired to perform in Forbidden's Christmas show in Florida. When it became clear that I would go on, there wasn't any time for celebration. For three days I ate, drank, slept Forbidden Broadway: Special Victims Unit. Everyone was so supportive. When the big night came, I know there were some disappointed folks. I had big shoes to fill. I did my best and the audiences were very kind. I'm grateful the folks at Forbidden Broadway took a chance on me.

Corine Cohen: I am glad they did, you are marvelous! What is your favorite bit in Forbidden Broadway SVU?

Megan Lewis: Currently my favorite bit in the show is the Light in the Piazza number. It's very silly and borders on out of control.

Corine Cohen: Was acting what you always wanted to do?

Megan Lewis: Acting became an extension of my first love, singing.

Corine Cohen: It must be very difficult doing the show 8 times a week. Your Idina is so on the money and Jen Simard's Chenoweth is so funny! Have you ever thought of starring with her in Wicked? Now that she has left you are the star!

Megan Lewis: I would love to do Wicked with Jennifer Simard. I'd love to do anything with Jenn. I learned so much from her professionally and personally. As far as the show having "stars", the great thing about Forbidden Broadway is that it's truly an ensemble piece. We all get our moment to shine and just as importantly, as an ensemble we get to contribute to those individual moments. Doing this show 8 times a week is tough, but hey, that's showbiz.

Corine Cohen: Jenn was wonderful and she will be missed! Any other dreams or aspirations?

Megan Lewis: My dream is to be happy doing what I love. That may not always be theatre, but right now, so far so good!

Corine Cohen: What music do you listen to at home?

Megan Lewis: At home, I've been on an Elvis kick lately. My boyfriend, Brett, is a classical guitarist so I get an earful of that. My all time favorite is Radiohead.

Corine Cohen: What do you do to prepare for Forbidden Broadway. How do you do Lupone so well?

Megan Lewis: To prepare for the show each night, I warm up vocally very carefully. This show can chew your cords like a meat grinder. Then I goof off backstage with everyone. There are lots of laughs backstage, too. I'm flattered you think I impersonate Lupone well. She's a constant battle because she's so amazing. Having fun with a legend can be tricky but Gerard always has great tips.

Corine Cohen: What is it like to work with Gerard Alessandrini?

Megan Lewis: Working with Gerard is full of surprises. He works best under pressure so we get some of his funniest ideas at crunch time. He's very sweet and loves what he does. That excitement is infectious.

Thank you, Megan. It was a pleasure watching you in Forbidden Broadway!