The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Monday, April 21, 2008

INTERVIEW WITH THE FABULOUS KEVIN JONES!








Corine Cohen: Hi, Kevin! Congratulations on your new role as the Judge can you tell me about the play and about the role?

Kevin Jones: Caucasian Chalk Circle is by Bertolt Brecht and as with most of his work it asks the audience how we can be good people in a bad world. I think that people sometimes think his plays will be preachy – but as anyone who saw Mother Courage in the Park in 2006 or Three Penny at the Roundabout knows, Brecht is an entertainer first and foremost. And that goes with Chalk Circle too – As the judge, Azdak, I have a couple of great numbers and I get to turn justice upside down. It’s a wild ride – I think it’s funny, I think our audiences will think so too.



Corine Cohen: You are always funny! What was your favorite role so far?

Kevin Jones: The first one that comes to mind is Prior in Angels in America which I did in the south – that was an interesting experience just being there and doing that show as well as an amazing character to play. If I had to pick – that would be first choice.





Corine Cohen: Ah. Tony Kushner! I love that play! If you could star in one production currently on Broadway what role would you pick and what show?

Kevin Jones: I would have loved to cover the amazing David Pittu’s roles in IS HE DEAD? Playing multiple characters is my favorite thing to do…but currently on Broadway – I think I’d like to play the slimy boyfriend in August Osage County. Roles like that are always guaranteed to provoke the audience! What could be more fun?



Corine Cohen: IS HE DEAD? Was very funny! I was surprised it did not get more nominations by the Outer Critic Circle. If you could have 9 wishes what would they be and why?

Kevin Jones:

1.An apartment with 1500 square feet or more! It would cost the same as what I pay for my current 650 square feet.
2.To be able to choose the work I do (wouldn’t we all love that!)
3.A Democrat in the White House. And she would be gay. Hail to the chief!
4.More funding for medical research of all kinds – hey these are wishes right?
5. Let’s just cure all the diseases!
6.The end to this war.
7.That everyone could face their own mortality without real consequences.
8.A break….of any kind!
9.And lastly for my partner’s nephew, that New York could be everywhere!


Corine Cohen: What about WORLD PEACE!(LAUGHS) What are 5 things people should know about Kevin Jones?

1. I’m the voice of Boneau/Bryan-Brown.

2.I’m the biggest fan of the Biggest Loser (go Ali!!)
3.I have two adorable tabby cats, Schuler & Douglass Anne.
4.I’m originally from Oklahoma but I grew up in New Jersey (I’m so conflicted!)
5.My name is Kevin, and I am a coffee-holic.




Corine Cohen: Hi,Kevin so am I but I hate Starbucks! What was the most exciting role you have ever played?

Kevin Jones: I played the swing roles in Sylvia and I loved playing Phyllis – every night the audience would go wild when Sylvia would stick her hand up my skirt and then jump on top of me. I looked forward to those wild howls of laughter every night! When we closed, it was the saddest I’ve ever been to take off a pair of heels.





Corine Cohen: (Hysterical laughter. Takes a breath) What are your favorite Broadway musicals?

Kevin Jones: Passing Strange! Spring Awakening! XANADU!!!

Corine Cohen: What are your favorite Off Broadway musicals.

Kevin Jones: Stomp! Altar Boyz!

Corine Cohen: If you won a million dollars what would you do with your life?

Kevin Jones: After investing the lion’s share of it, I think I’d still be pursuing performance in theatre - acting, directing and writing – I’d just be doing it all the time and probably not be sitting at my day job. This sounds great – where do I sign!



Corine Cohen: If you could be any person except yourself for a day who would it be and why?

Kevin Jones: I’d be Donald Trump and walk through New York giving his cash away and get a decent hair cut so the world wouldn’t have to look at that awful comb-over anymore. Of course, I’d have to move in with Rosie O’Donnell the next day or be put in the witness protection program. I think he’d fire me in a big way.

Corine Cohen: Thanks for the funny interview Kevin. I love talking to you daily at Boneau. They are lucky to have you and the World is a better place with you in it.

Interview conducted by Corine Dana Cohen