The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Friday, April 25, 2008

Interview With Ann Harada!


Corine Cohen: You originated the role of Christmas Eve in the hit Broadway musical Avenue Q. Can you tell me how you were chosen for Q and what was the process for landing that gig.

Ann Harada: I was never chosen for Q. Amanda Green recommended me when Bobby Lopez and Jeff Marx were asking their BMI classmates if anyone knew an Asian actress who could sing. They needed someone to sing a few lines in “Racist” for a presentation. They called, I said yes, I was Christmas Eve from then on in.

Corine Cohen: How wonderful! You never had to audition!I miss seeing you in Avenue Q. You are fabulous as Christmas Eve. If you could be in any Broadway show currently running this year what would you pick and why?

Ann Harada: Well, I’d really like to play Rose in Gypsy, because every belting character woman in the world would like to play Rose, but I don’t think Patti is going anywhere!

Corine Cohen: No, she has found her "Purpose" (Sorry, I could not resist!)Although I could see you in South Pacific as Bloody Mary. I think you would make the role hysterical. Did you try out for that part? Or would you want to try out for that part?

Ann Harada: Yes, I tried out. I thought I did well, but obviously they decided to go another way. I’ve played it regionally twice and enjoyed it. But it’s funny – I remember in high school being devastated when I didn’t get to play Bloody Mary in our production, they cast someone who “really looked the part”. I mean, if I wasn’t the best candidate in my high school, what were the chances of being the best candidate in NYC?

Corine Cohen: I just think you would make the role hysterical. Add the Harada touch.
I bet you were great!What are 10 things people should know about Ann Harada?

Ann Harada:
10.Born and raised in Hawaii, went to high school with Barack Obama! He was a couple of years ahead of me.
9. I can get drunk on half a drink.
8. Graduate of Brown University, and I don’t think any of my professors would have thought I’d become an actor.
7. I collect cookbooks and children’s books.
6. I’m the annoying person in the cast that carries their camera around.
5. I’m completely devoted to the works of William Finn.
4. I won my 8th grade spelling bee.
3. My favorite flowers are purple.
2. I am a huge musical theatre geek.
1. I am currently nursing several talent crushes. No, I am not
telling. Except for Norm…everybody loves Norm!

Corine Cohen: I understand about Norm, everyone loves Norm. If you won the lotto what would you do with the money and would you still perform?

Ann Harada: Do with the money???? Set Elvis up for school. Provide health care for my family. Hire somebody to organize my life. Travel. Then if there’s anything left, produce shows. Of course I’d still perform…because money wouldn’t be an issue!

Corine Cohen: Would you ever consider doing a one woman show? I would love to see one all about Ann!

Ann Harada: I did a Broadway Spotlight at Ars Nova (my back up guys were Michael Heitzman, Everett Bradley and Alex Gemignani…I’ll never get that team again!) and did my own act way back when I first moved here. I like solo work but I like singing with other people more…so my one person shows always involve guest stars! I need harmony…and collaborators!

Corine Cohen: Shoot, I never heard about that event and I would have loved to have seen that! What a cast and such an intimate space. I love that theater. It is very cosy and inviting. I hope you will consider bringing it back. (Maybe, A Producer out there will read this and bring it back, big loud hint!)John Tags got a TV show, Stephanie D'Abruzzo was on a few shows and I have seen you in a few commercials. What would be a dream role on TV? I want my Harada TV!

Ann Harada: It’s my dream right now to get a TV show that films in NYC. I would like to be somebody’s quirky co-worker or neighbor. I’m more of a Rhoda than a Mary. Actually, I’m afraid I’m more of a Sue Anne.

Corine Cohen: Tell me what it is like to be a Mommy!

Ann Harada: More exhausting than you can imagine, and the most important thing I have ever done. We like to say it’s like having a very interesting puppy.

Corine Cohen: Ahh. I love puppies and babies.If you could change five things what would they be?

Ann Harada: I wouldn’t have allergies. 4-1. I’d be taller, skinnier, prettier, and dance better. But would I be Ann then? Probably not….but I still dream about it.

Corine Cohen: Earlier you said you went to school with OBAMA. What is he like and who will you be voting for?

Ann Harada: Also, to respond to your other question: He was older and not involved
with anything I did so I didn't really know him. His grandmother and my mother worked at the Bank of Hawaii together, though, so I knew who he was. I will be voting for whoever is the Dem. Nominee.


Corine Cohen: Thank you for doing this interview, Ann. I hope all of the other dreams come true. Ann Harada is a very talented actress and I hope to eventually see her in her own TV show as well as being back on Broadway where she belongs. She is incredibly talented and a great person. I thank her for doing an interview for this site. All you Producers out there need to hire her!



Interview conducted by Corine Cohen.