The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Saturday, June 14, 2008

So Are You Excited About The TONYS?


Kelli O'Hara and Paulo Szot will make the awards an "Enchanting evening!"


I hope that YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN does "Putting on the Ritz) I love Shuler! (Photo by Mark Rupp)











The evil women in Xanadu.








The incredible Tom Wopat (Photo by Mark Rupp- I love him)




You should all see his show at the Metropolitan Room!






The one and only Paulo Szot. Isn't he enchanting!!!!! (Photo by Maryann Lopinto)




Colman Domingo- The funniest man in PASSING STRANGE!
The very talented Faith Prince who gives it her all in A Catered Affair. Her performance is breathtaking!!!






Are you excited about the upcoming TONY AWARDS?














So, what are you excited about? I love it all. I am looking forward to seeing the "In The Heights" number. The dance is incredible in that show but also the dance in "Cry Baby" I hope they do the prison scene. The show should be packed with more musical numbers as this year many older shows will do numbers( Lion King.)






Hope you have a good time!




(My predictions)










1. Best supporting actor in a musical: Danny Burstein for South Pacific but it could be close between Daniel Breaker for Passing Strange. Both deserve to win. My guess is it will be Danny but it could go either way and I would be happy if either won.




2. Best supporting actress in a musical: This award belongs to Laura Benanti. (She deserves to win and she is an absolute sweetheart.(She was one of my favorite people to interview at the Drama Desk Awards and I hope that video will be on my site soon!)




3. Best supporting Actress in a play: and Mary McCormack will take these for Boeing- Boeing.
She was so funny I had a hard time breathing as I was laughing so hard. She is hysterical and if you have not seen this show you need to now!




4. Best supporting actor should go to David Pittu for the very funny now dead "IS HE DEAD" This show was the biggest upset for me. It should have never closed. For me, it was the funniest show of the season. I went three times. Norbert being overlooked made me very angry. The last scene with the eye, leg and body parts section of the show had me gasping for air. I had tears of joy all over my face. (Wait till you see the interview on video that I did with Marylouise Burke!!!!


Coming soon.




5. Best leading actress in a play: Deanna Dunagan August Osage County which will win Best Play.




6. Patti LuPone has no chance of losing Best actress in a musical for her incredible performance in GYPSY. She deserves to win but so does Kelli O'Hara.

7. Paulo Szot is sure to win for South Pacific. He gives the performance of a lifetime. If he does not win I will be very surprised and there is no justice in this World.




8. Lin-Manuel Miranda is sure to win several awards for his feel good musical In The Heights which was my Mother's favorite musical of the year(Granted she has not seen Passing Strange)


I adore the show and hope it wins many awards.




9. Best Musical is really hard. I have no idea who will win but I think it will be between PASSING STRANGE and In The Heights. I adore both as well as Xanadu.











I am looking forward to:


















1. Seeing Rob Ashford's incredible choreography in the Cry Baby number!









2. The South Pacific Number: I hope they do "Some Enchanted Evening." Or "Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair" to see another number from that perfect musical will make my week!(And did I mention Paulo Szot and Danny Burstein, I adore them.)









3. I can't wait to see Christian Siriano's designs for Whoopi Goldberg and the funny jokes that Bruce Vilanch wrote for her. (One can dream, and yes I know I am obsessed about Bruce but he is funny!)


















4. Hoping they let Tom Wopat, Faith Prince and the rest of the cast sing a number of A CATERED AFFAIR. I am a big fan of the show but don't let Harvey sing!!!!! (I love him but I would rather hear the rest of the cast sing!!!) Hope they do Apricot Blossoms! (Faith Prince and Tom Wopat rule!!!) They really should have done that number on the VIEW.

















5. I hope Chester Gregory will perform in The Tonys even if he is leaving the show and starring in Shrek. (CRY BABY)


















6. I hope Colman Domingo will perform "What's Inside Is Just A Lie" but my guess is they will do "Amsterdam" from Passing Strange. (Would rather see Colman but I will live.)


















7. Colman Domingo was my favorite part of PASSING STRANGE and that is no lie! (Love the entire cast but Colman is my favorite)


















8. I love Xanadu and I hope they do EVIL WOMAN. In a perfect world that is my request. (And they were robbed!!!!!)


















9. Did I mention my love for Xanadu? I will say it again. ;-)


















10. I hope Laura, Patti and Boyd Gaines do a number together and I hope Laura wins for her incredible performance in GYPSY! (It is a given that Patti LuPone will win but Kelli also deserves to win. In a perfect world Patti and Kelli would tie. (And Gypsy and South Pacific would tie. The two shows were my favorite of the entire season and maybe my entire life at the Theater!)


















Corine