The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Saturday, June 28, 2008

SHALL WE DANCE ALL NIGHT? SOME ENCHANTED EVENING!

Gina Kreiezmar, Michael West, Jared Bradshaw, David Caldwell and Christina Bianco. (Thanks to Kayla Greeley and Jared for this photo.)





As many of you know, I am one of the shows greatest fans. I have seen every version except one (2001, ASO) So, I know most of the words, the lyrics and the dance numbers. "Dances With The Stars" is by far the strongest version since "Rude Awakening" which is one of my favorite editions.








I must say that I have loved every cast of " Forbidden Broadway" but tonights cast was exceptional. There is a new girl in town and she is going to be "POP-U-LAR"




She is a tiny, adorable sensation that can give Chenoweth a run for her money. There is a new Chenoweth number, so listen up Chenoweth fans. When you see Christina Bianco you will be amazed. Was it live or was it Memorex? Christina Bianco will be Broadway's next big star or should I say little star. All great things and performers come in tiny packages and Christina Bianco is one tiny star package! She is outstanding!








When I was waiting to see the show I met the newest stars family and they were very happy for FB'S newest edition. Tonight was her first performance and she blew the house down with her incredible vocal chops and talent. The new kid reminds me of Jennifer Simard which is a very good role model. She has a gorgeous voice and can do anything! I can't wait to see what she does next. She is a triple threat and it is only night one.








Congratulations are also in order for Gina. Gina, who has been the understudy for many years blew me away with her brilliant impersonation of Patti LuPone. It was so on the money that people including myself screamed for her. She has always been one of my favorite performers in the show and she shined tonight. I also was blown away by her Liza impersonation. (It is my favorite Liza of all time!!!!!) (And my favorite Patti. Wonder if LuPone has an understudy?) Gina is brilliant!!!








Jared and Michael never disappoint but seeing West as Elaine Stritch was a real treat. (I'LL DRINK TO THAT!)









Don't miss this fabulous version. It was an enchanting evening. PS Christina's Kelli O'Hara was so on the money and Jared's Paulo was a real treat. This production was perfection on night one which is a very good sign.






It is a must see! Some other great new numbers:






Michael West does an incredible impersonation of Lin Manuel Miranda and gets down "In The Height's " style! (His Elaine Stritch was hysterical and he has her great legs! Although, he really looks great in the Les Miz number) His Harvey just kills me every time I see it. Especially his funny looks at Laura Bell Bundy. He is so funny!!




Jared never stops entertaining. I loved him as THE MONSTER! (Sorry for the spoiler but it was really clever and campy!(Just not crappy!) They can't stop the camp and it is so much fun.






There is no Broadway like Gerard's Broadway!






Corine Dana Cohen


Call 212-239-6200 for tickets.

http://www.forbiddenbroadway.com/







Side note: There are a few things that could have been better:




My thoughts:






1. Wish they would kill off Annie already. In the last version they did kill her and it kind of made me happy. (I have seen this number 61 times, enough!!!)


2. Why did they take out "Curtains" it is Jared's funniest number and it was missed.


3. They did a shorter version of "Spring Awakening" and took out a very funny part that should still remain. Annie should be killed if it is about time but the Spring number is one of the greatest bits and should not be shortened,


4. The Merman number just isn't the same without Val Fagan. (But Gina is amazing in everything else) This number should only be done by Val Fagan.




For a first preview this edition was very strong. In fact, it was the best first preview I have seen. I do think it is time to put Annie under. I love that number but it is so old now and needs to be buried. It is Gerard's signature but it really is stale and does not belong. And hipper, newer bits should take its place (Curtains!) And even though the Phantom Merman number is hysterical it is missing something and could be cut. The number was written for VAL. (Or it seems like it!) (The LuPone number was written for Gina and it is perfection!)




This production is hysterical and I can't wait to see the improvements. Can you smell another TONY? This year, I can.