The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Friday, June 6, 2008

Corine's Corner Tony Predictions.

I think that Mary will win for her hilarious performance in Boeing- Boeing. Mark is also a good choice for the play category. The award might also go to Rondi Reed from August Osage County.
Some enchanting evening: Paulo Szot and Kelli O'Hara!
Photo Maryann Lopinto Paulo Szot

Photo by Mark Rupp Shuler and Laura (I love this photo)
PS I interviewed both of them and they are wonderful interviews.
So happy that Laura won her Drama Desk Award as she deserved it!
Sorry the evil women were not nominated. They were robbed and I adore them.


On Sunday I will be attending an event with the big theater critics where they will predict the winners of this years Tonys. Here are my predictions.

This year the greatest category is the revivals. Both Gypsy and South Pacific as well as Sunday In The Park With George were my three favorite musicals this season. If there was a winner I wish that GYPSY would tie with South Pacific. I adored all three but of the three I think that
South Pacific will win.


Best actor: Tough competition this year but I think Paulo Szot will take it for his perfect voice, acting and sex appeal in South Pacific.


Best actress: It is a close one between Patti LuPone and Kelli O'Hara but LuPone is sure to win it. Both ladies give the performance of a lifetime and it will be a tough race.
Best Musical: I think In The Heights will take the award this year. It is a feel good musical with incredible talent, dance and heart. Miranda deserves this award and I think it will win best musical. I also adore Xanadu and Passing Strange but my guess is that In The Heights will win.

Best Music: My guess it will go to Passing Strange and Stew will take this award with an incredible score.
Best Supporting Actress: I think Benanti will win. She gives the performance of a lifetime and she deserves it. I was sad that Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman were left out of this category as they were wonderful as the EVIL WOMEN in Xanadu.

For best play I think it will be August Osage County and for Best revival of a play I think it will be Boeing- Boeing. I also adored The 39 Steps.


Rob Ashford will probably win an award for his incredible dance direction for Cry Baby.
For Best supporting actor I think Danny Burstein will win but Daniel Breaker has a very good chance of winning. I am not sure how this category will play. Both actors are excellent. I personally wished that Coleman Domingo would have been nominated for this category. (What's Inside is just a lie!)

Some of my predictions. We will see the results on June 15th. Who do you think will win?

Write to me and tell me your choices.




PS These are not my choices but my predictions on who I think will win.
All of the nominees are fabulous and wish them all luck. I thank them for a wonderful theater season.
On a side note: I am very sad about a few things:
I loved Roundabout Theater Companies The Ritz and the hysterical play IS HE DEAD!
Both shows are sadly no longer running on Broadway. I wished that Marylouise Burke and Norbert Leo Butz were nominated for their fabulous acting. Other than that and Jackie Hoffman and Mary Testa being left out I was pretty happy with the nominations. Regardless they are all fabulous and I wanted to thank them for making me laugh this season.
Even though Testa and Hoffman were left out of this years Tonys, they will always be one of my favorite performances of the season and Xanadu one of my favorite musicals of this season.
Corine Dana Cohen