The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Budget Gourmet: Dine With Wine For Less Than $11.00 A Person!


Happy New Year! If you are like me, you like a bargain. But, you never want to cut on quality!
I found a place that gives fabulous quality with incredible prices and amazing service. The restaurant is called: JING DU.

Jing Du- Cuisine of China and Thailand is located on 2nd Avenue between 56th and 57th Street.
About two years ago I wandered in there by mistake and have kept this little gem a secret.
If you don't care about a gorgeous atmosphere and all you care about is fantastic food at inexpensive prices, Jing Du is for you.)

Why is it worth the trek? The food, service and price are the lowest except for chinatown. It is also closer than chinatown.

Special dinner:

Dinner for two: Soup, appetizer and main course for less than $10.00 a person and they even give you one glass of wine on the house. I went there this week and took a friend for her Birthday and she loved it (and it didn't break the bank!)

I started with the Spinach tofu soup which is very clean and fresh. She had the Egg Drop Soup.
I had the shrimp teriyaki appetizer which is three grilled shrimp on a skewer with peppers. They looked like prawns and were seasoned with a spicy glaze and was srumptious. My friend had a spring roll. We split two dishes, giant prawns in Lobster Sauce and Sesame chicken. Both were huge, fresh and tasty.

Dessert was pineapple and fortune cookies and cut up orange. The orange was sour but the pinapple was sweet and tasty and this is thrown in gratis.
(They don't have a liquor lic so you can bring your own wine and I suggest doing that as the wine is box wine and nothing sensational but it is drinkable if you are not a wine snob)

All of this came to a total of $21.00 before tip. The waiter came and filled my water glass without me having to hunt him down like other fancier places.

The food: 4 out of 4
The service: 4 out of 4
The atmosphere: It is not a pretty place and it could use a paint job but that is the only negative thing about this restaurant: 1 out of four stars.

This is not a place for a romantic date as the atmosphere is bad. But, if you are looking for a chinese feast on a budget you will be very happy with Jing Du!

Jing Du- 1074 2nd Avenue
56th and 57th Street
212-888-8878

(I have never done delivery so I suggest you try it at the restaurant first)


Other dishes I have had that adore:


The crispy beef is as good as Shun Lee for half of the cost. They even have this dish on the dinner and on the lunch menu and it is one of the greatest dishes they make! It is spicy, if you like that it is a treat. They can make it less spicy if you can't handle chili peppers (I BURN!)


The vietnam roll is a wonderful appetizer that I have never had anywhere else and at only $1.50, you must try it.


By: Corine Dana Cohen

Stay tuned for a different blog each week!