The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Some Thoughts About The TONYS. Photos by Maryann Lopinto and Mark Rupp.



Duncan Sheik

Frank Langella

Eve Best

Raul Esparza
Christine Ebersole

John Gallagher
Jay Johnson and The Bird of Death!

All of the picks this season are winners and I love Broadway and hope that everyone will have a glorious night regardless of who wins. Since I am not a fortune teller and I can't read minds I will do my best to list a few of my opinions on who I think will win.

Best Musical: I wish this would tie. I have two favorite musicals this season:
"Grey Gardens" and "Spring Awakening." I love both with all my heart and find it very difficult to choose one over the other. If I had to pick though, I would predict that Spring Awakening will win for Music(Duncan Sheik) and Doug Wright will win for lyrics.
Sater also deserves to win but there can't be a three way tie but they are all winners!

This year had such wonderful leading ladies as well but Christine Ebersole will win this one or it will be a huge upset. (I was also moved by Audra MacDonald, Lea Michele and Donna Murphy but if I had to pick the winner it would be Ebersole)
Ebersole brought Grey Gardens to Broadway and gave a performance that will live in a place where only Broadway legends belong.

Leading Actor also deserves to go to Raul Esparza for his incredible performance in Company. He never ceases to amaze me with his talent and he deserves a Tony for his best performance since "A Normal Heart" which stole my heart as the most riveting performance by any actor, I was moved beyond words and would love to see him win a Tony for "Company".

Best Supporting Actor: I really want John Gallagher to take this for Spring Awakening. He and Groff are outstanding in Spring Awakening and I am hoping that Gallagher wins this. He is such a talent and I am rooting for him.

Solo Piece: I really hope Jay Johnson wins this for the most adorable show of the season "The Two and Only" It was a short lived but very touching and moving play.
If it loses I will call in for the Bird of Death.

Best play: This is a tough call but I think it will go to "Frost Nixon" I hope Langella takes best actor but I also adored Christopher Plummer from "Inherit The Wind" I was moved by both actors and both deserve the Tony. In addition both are legends.

Best Actress In A Play: I adored Eve Best but think Julie White will take it.
I did love both women in both plays but Eve was best in my eyes.

In addition, I wanted "Pirate Queen" to win for best costumes. But, sadly it was not nominated. I loved the choreography in "Legally Blonde" and think that the show will appeal and sell out to the millions of tourists that love Broadway. It might not be the best show on Broadway, but it is a lot of fun and the animal trainer deserves a special award. The Bulldog in the show is the cutest thing I have ever seen. I will predict that Bill will win for best choreography for "Spring Awakening" which would be the favorite.

These are a few thoughts. Hope everyone enjoys the TONYS tonight and watch it and tivo the Sopranos. I love NY theater. Hope you will watch.