The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Saturday, December 6, 2008

PROBLEMS AT THE THEATER FOR THE DISABLED.


Since breaking my ankle I have been amazed at how the disabled, both in wheelchairs and walkers are treated when going to the theater. There are a lot of problems with this and I have experienced it first hand. Here are the good, the bad and the ugly.

1. At Speed the Plow this week. I asked to use the handicapped bathroom and was yelled at by the company manager who gave me tone and attitude when I asked to use the bathroom. I was sort of shocked at his tone and the tone of the ushers at that theater. My guest is in a wheel chair and when asked if we could move to an aisle so she does not have to push herself three chairs they basically were very unhelpful when six open aisle seats were available.

When I asked to use the bathroom they let me in when another woman was using it. Pretty embarrassing. Theaters need to be better about this. There were open aisle seats and they could have given my wheelchair friend a better time at the show. I also have a broken ankle and was wearing a boot and the usher refused to help me so I had to take my friends wheelchair and put it away which was difficult for me with a broken ankle.

Three weeks ago I went to see The Marvelous Wonderettes and was told there was no elevator to take me up three flights of steps. I almost killed myself pushing myself up the stairs. Yesterday, at Dust, I found out the theater has a lift for wheelchairs. Why is a walker different.
I needed that lift and they refused to make the effort to help me get upstairs. These are upsetting things that I experienced first hand.

At HAIRSPRAY the ushers were very outgoing and helpful. They were not as helpful at SPRING AWAKENING where they explained that there was no wheel chair bathroom and I could go to the EDISON diner.

Many theater goers use walkers, wheelchairs and canes and should be treated better.

Corine Cohen

The best experience was at the Marriott Marquis. They took my walker and brought it to me after the show. They gave me an aisle seat and made it easier for me. Other theatres need to get lessions on how to help the disabled if they want to continue getting an audience.