The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Monday, March 10, 2008

Interview With Forbidden Broadway's James Donegan!




James Donegan with Val Fagan, Janet Dickinson and Jared Bradshaw!Forbidden Broadway on the opening night. Photo by Michael Portantiere.


Corine Cohen: Hi, James! You were in the last two versions of Forbidden Broadway. How did you get in the show?




James Donegan: I auditioned the first time for Forbidden Broadway like five or six years ago and didn't get so much as a callback. Then last Spring, I was singing a few songs for new musicals in which I'm involved, and Gerard Alessandrini, the shows creator, saw that, remembered me, and he asked me to come audition for the summer edition. And I got the job!




After completing the summer edition in August, my job was supposed to be finished up, but when Michael West, who was set to open the new edition, had some health issues, I was asked to come back for an additional six weeks. It happened that those six weeks included opening the show for critics and recording the cast album.




Corine Cohen: Did you always want to be an actor/singer/impressionist?


James Donegan: It's funny because I don't consider myself much of an impressionist. I consider myself a singing actor, and I tend to do mostly comedies.... so I really approached F.B. as I would any other comic role (or set of roles). I think my characters in the show don't "know" they're funny. I try my best not to be in on the jokes.




At any rate: I have always been a performer, and I knew that I would always be involved in theater somehow. I didn't know in what capacity -- I thought maybe it would always just be community theater. My education is actually in graphic design and advertising, so I guess I thought I'd be working in an ad agency. But while I was in grad school, I did my first professional theater and decided to move to New York to see what would happen with it.
That was nine years ago!






Corine Cohen: You have done so many wonderful things! Were there any funny stories or bloopers you can share about the show and other shows you have been in?




James Donegan: Oh, sure. In my second performance "back" in Forbidden (in previews for the RUDE AWAKENING opening), a microphone stand fell off the stage and into the audience. I made some joke about it, and we started again. In fact, I think I said, "It's my second performance. Give me a break," or something. I've also lost countless earrings as Harvey Fierstein in the Hairspray send-up.




I think every show has SOMETHING that "goes wrong." I mean, that's part of the joy of live theater. It keeps you on your toes as an actor! Someone skips a line or forgets a prop or something. I don't think I've ever been in a show that had to stop. The show always goes on!




Corine Cohen: You all make it look so easy! What do you want to appear in next? If you could be in any current show on Broadway what would it be and why?




James Donegan: I would love to play Emmett in Legally Blonde. There really aren't that many roles that include all of the things I do. He is a sort of a reticent romantic lead who gets to sing some really fun music. I mean, in any other show, the hot guy ("Warner") would be the romantic center. But somehow Emmett winds up as the love interest. I think he's as surprised as anyone.
I was also really interested in auditioning to stand-by for George in Sunday in the Park..., but I was working out of town. I'm also a big fan of Spamalot, Jersey Boys and Xanadu and think there are roles in each for which I'm right.




Corine Cohen: You are funny enough to be in all of those shows! Do you have a favorite Broadway show either on Broadway right now or in the past?




James Donegan: The first show I ever saw on Broadway was the original production of Into The Woods, and it really opened my eyes to what musical theater could be: dark, challenging, complex, profound. It really changed my life.




Corine Cohen: Sondheim is brilliant. I adore Follies, Sweeney Todd, and Company! Who do you admire most in this business?




James Donegan: Wow. That's a great question. The people I most admire aren't necessarily the stars. I mean, there are some tremendous singer/actors (Carolee Carmello, Norm Lewis, David Hyde Pierce, etc.), but the people I really admire are those who aren't currently having a great deal of success. Still, they're in classes and lessons and up well before dawn to stand in line for the chance to audition. If you ever want to be blown away, go and sit outside the audition room at an Equity Principal Audition. You'll hear some amazing singing -- from people who have been standing on line since 6:30 that morning.




I guess that's why American Idol and all those shows are completely unimpressive to me. Those kids -- whose talent is questionable -- get in line for one audition on one day. New York actors do that every single day during busy audition seasons.




Corine Cohen: I am usually blown away when I see all the talent in FB! If you were not an actor what would you do and why?




James Donegan: I love a lot of things, and I actually own a couple of side businesses. I design websites, I teach voice, I'm a nutrition coach. So I guess I'd be doing all those things!




Corine Cohen: When did you realize you wanted to be an actor/performer?




James Donegan: Oh, I think I realized it at birth. I can't remember a time when I wasn't performing in some capacity -- at church or school or whatever. I decided to pursue it professionally in the summer of 1998, and I moved to New York in February 1999.






Corine Cohen: Any backstage horror stories in FB? I mean the costume changes are really tough!




James Donegan: (haha...) No. I mean, there are some tight ones, but we have help. And once you get the rhythm of the show, it's really not that hard. Don't get me wrong, it's a tough 90 minutes to do eight times a week, but it's such a loving, supportive bunch of people that I can't think of anything ever going terribly wrong. Of course, I've done skits without a wig or something... but it's very rare.




Corine Cohen: Yeah, it must have been a blast. I am very jealous of you! What is your favorite skit in Forbidden Broadway?




James Donegan: Company. I got to create the F.B. version of Raul Esparza, so it's really a hybrid of mine and Gerard's takes on the show and Raul's extraordinary performance.





You all do such a great job in Forbidden Broadway! I hope you get to play Emmett in Legally Blonde!




Headshot by Robin Gentile.


For more information on James Donegan you can go to:




James is currently starring in ROBERTA which is part of Musicals Tonight!


Interview conducted by Corine Cohen for http://www.corinescorner.com