The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

GYPSY: NO GIMMICK NEEDED!


Last evening, I was fortunate to attend a press viewing of the classic Broadway treasure GYPSY! I saw the production this past summer at Encores.


The show is one of the greatest musicals in history. This cast was so exceptional that, I did not want the evening to end. Neither did the hecklers behind me. They screamed throughout the entire production. I know why they screamed, this cast was brilliant and LuPone is at the high point of her career. The role of Rose seems like it was written for LuPone. LuPone, Laura Benanti and Boyd Gaines all deserve nominations for this incredible production.

My only problem with the production was the sets and strange props. I usually love puppets but not in GYPSY! Why they used a stuffed toy dog and puppet lamb was strange. In the last Broadway production with Bernadette Peters they used a real baby lamb and it added a nice touch to this show. I could understand not using real animals in the Encores version but not in a Broadway run. That was my biggest problem with the show.

LuPone and this entire cast shine. It is a production that should not be missed. I just wish hecklers would shut up. I wanted to stuff a sock in their annoying mouth!

GYPSY is a Corine's pick and even though the low budget sets are a problem, it does not take away from the masterpiece on Broadway called GYPSY. It is a must see regardless of the minimal sets. The actors and fabulous book make it one of the most enjoyable nights of theater that I have seen in my entire life. Get tickets: http://www.gypsyonbroadway.com/

This show is a Corine's pick!