The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Spring Awakening: Totally Hip!


Photo of Jonathan Groff by Maryann Lopinto.

Photo of John Gallagher at Chatterbox by Maryann Lopinto
I was fortunate to attend "Spring Awakening" a second time tonight. I saw it in previews and was invited back a second glorious time.

I am hooked on this score. I wanted to get out of my seat and jump onstage with them. The music is contagious and I adore it.

One thing that upset me was the severe homophobia in the audience. In the kissing scene between two of the boy cast members one of the men in a row ahead of me gasped with such hatred it was alarming. A lot of gasps in the audience. I don't think there was any reason to gasp. That was the only negative (The audience reaction)

Spring Awakening has earned 10 Drama Desk nominations and in my opinion they deserved many more. Congratulations to: Duncan Sheik, Steven Sater, Michael Mayer, Lea Michele, John Gallagher and Jonathan Groff.