The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Thursday, April 26, 2007

All About Joe Stein Part 4.


Joe and Elisa Stein at Vico Restaurant- Photo by Brad Balfour
All About Joe Stein
(Because this is a very large interview it is broken into four parts. Please scroll down and read part 1-4)Hope you enjoy this interview with Joe Stein!


Written by Corine Cohen
Page 4 of 4
Stein's first musical, based off a tourist guide to Amish Pennsylvania, "Plain and Fancy."CC: So, who are some of the other people you've worked
with that we haven't talked about?

ES: Charles Strouse from "Rags." Stephen Schwartz from "The Baker's Wife."

JS: I've done two shows with Stephen, and he's an enormously powerful guy. Also a very good friend.

CC: I met Stephen Schwartz. I went to the press preview for "Rags." You were there. And so was Stephen. I think Charles was there too.

JS: Charles and I were doing revisions on "Rags."

CC: I thought Carolee Carmello did a wonderful job. She's a really talented singer.

JS: Well, I think Charles' score is sensational. It's a great score.

CC: You say all of them are your favorite.

JS: I love them all. Even the shows that are not terribly successful.

ES: "Take Me Along." It was very successful in the end.

JS: "Take Me Along."

ES: "Take Me Along," "Plain and Fancy," and oh "Carmelina."

CC: Unfortunately I never saw those.

JS: You don't go the York. [The York Theatre, 619 Lexington Ave at 53rd Street]

CC: I don't go to the York that much. They do some wonderful things.

JS: Very good. They don't invite press because they don't do big productions.

CC: I think it's a small theater. If they invited 113 people, it'd be full. If it's only a short run it doesn't make sense for them, but if it's a long term thing, then it would be easier. I went to eight things last week.

EL: What a nice life you have, going out every night.

CC: I see everything. I can’t complain. I’m very happy!

JS: We're going to the Music Box tonight.

CC: Oh what are you going to see?" The Vertical Hour?" I saw that. I thought the acting was good. It wasn't my favorite play, but I enjoyed it. Have you seen “Spring Awakening?”

JS: I saw it Off Broadway.

CC: What did you think?

JS: I was not crazy about the score. I thought it was atonal. It was not…I mean when you see a score say like "Jersey Boys" or something. Anyway, I really liked the show. But, I'm not sure it's going to do very well.

CC: I personally loved the score, and I loved the music. I can’t get it out of my mind. It was one of my favorite musicals this season.

JS: That's very interesting. You probably have to listen to it a couple of times. I was talking to John the other day, and he didn't like the score. John Kander, and he is very generous to other composers.

JF: It's different. It's modern.

JS: I know, but John is not, you know, is not an old geezer.

CC: I’m surprised he didn’t like it. Last year, Jersey Boys was the big hit, this year Spring Awakening seems to be a favorite.

JF: My children went to see "Jersey Boys" with my mother. And, actually the whole audience was their age, 60-70 years olds from New Jersey. My daughter was sitting there, and she said she really liked the story. And it had no relationship to her. My son liked the story…

JS: Well they're lucky that New Jersey has a big population because that's their audience.

ES: No, it's not only that.

JF: If "Spring Awakening" can find the fortune to fill seats with 16 year olds, they'll do fine. I think it'll become their "Rent."

CC: I think for those up to the age 35. But my 60 year old Aunt loved it and so did her ex husband who is 68. It is all a matter of taste. Personally, loved it though!

JF: I don't think so. I think by the time you're 22, you're so over the coming of age, no? If they can find their audience, 17-25.

JS: "Grey Gardens" is also very special. I loved "Grey Gardens." Once you get past first act, the second act is sensational. What did you think of "Wicked"?

ES: "Wicked" is all the people who saw "The Wizard of Oz."

JS: I think "Wicked" basically has a very young audience. I think people, middle aged, they don't care for "Wicked."

JF: But it found its audience. It's sold out for five years. You can't get a ticket.

JS: I can't get a ticket.

CC: I found it entertaining but I thought I would like it better than I did.

ES: I went with our daughter and after the first act, I needed her to translate.

JS: Actually I told Steve [Schwartz, composer and lyricist for "Wicked"]. I said, "Steve, your lyrics are getting lost."

JF: You know it's a big production. And when they're home, my daughter has every word memorized.

JS: You know what his favorite score is?

CC: He told me "Children of Eden," I think.

JS: He loves "Children of Eden," but I think he really loves "The Baker's Wife."

CC: Let's talk about "The Baker's Wife." What do you think?

JS: What do I think of "The Baker's Wife?" God, I loved that show. It's entirely different. It's very warm. Very moving. It's not sentimental but it's very moving.

ES: And very funny.

JS: Very funny. Most recently it was done at that place in New Jersey. Paper Mill. And they sold out. There were no names. If the Times would have come and given us a good review, it would have made it to Broadway. The New Jersey Times came, and the NJ Times gave it a good review.

CC: Jacki, maybe you could bring that back.

JF: I have a lot of plans.


Joe Stein.CC: What do you think of New York City? Do you love living here?

JS: If I didn't love it here, I wouldn't be here. I've lived here all my life. The only other place I've ever been was very temporarily on the coast. When I had an assignment there, you know, working on television. But I didn't like it very much.

CC: So is Vico your favorite restaurant?

JS: My favorite local restaurant, yeah. As a matter of fact, it's a wonderful restaurant. I remember I was talking to Mario Puzo…we were quite good friends. He said, "Wait a minute. You live on Madison and the 90s. You live right around the corner from it., "It's the best Italian restaurant in New York." I said, "It is?" He says, "You lucky pig. That's your neighborhood restaurant."

CC: It's my first time here and I really enjoyed it.

JS: In the evenings it's very different.

JF: It's great. It's quiet, bright. I like it.

JS: And they always give me this table.


It was a pleasure interviewing Joe, Elisa and Jacki. Catch "All About Us" through April 28th and pray it moves to Broadway! It is a wonderful musical!