The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Interview with Tom D' Angora. Corine's Corner Flashback!!




Interview with Tom D'Angora.


Corine: Where were you born?

Tom: I was born in Winchester Ma.



CC: Your show is adorable. How did you come up with the idea?

TD: I wanted to do a club act for a long time. I didn’t want it to just be me singing all of my favorite songs for an hour since I don’t particularly like the sound of my own voice. I wanted to do something I could have fun with and the audience could have fun watching. One day, I was telling some friends stories about my obsession with some Broadway divas and some of the crazy situations that occurred because of my obsession with these fabulous women and they were on the floor laughing. So over the next few months my director/live in lover Michael Duling and I starting putting the original production of Divas I’ve Done together which featured all Broadway divas. Broadway divas and Princess Di (she always looked so good we had to throw her in for good measure). We opened July 2nd 2003 and it’s been growing ever since.



CC: I had so much fun. You are adorable! Other then your show, do you have a favorite musical?

TD: I have a few. Most recently Caroline Or Change (Which we scheduled our L.A. run of divas around). I loved Urinetown. But if I have to choose one, I would have to say Jane Eyre The Musical. I don’t know if it was the actual show or Marla Schaffel’s flawless performance in it that makes it my favorite. Seeing her play that role made me understand how important good acting is in Musical theater. People put the acting second to how high you can sing and it is sad. But Marla as Jane Eyre had the acting chops and could sing her face off so what more could a young gay boy need.



CC: Have you ever performed with Liza?

TD: OH MY GOD WOULD I LOVE TO!!!!!!! But no, I have not. I have seen her live many times. I have met her twice but I was shaking the whole time we have photos. The closest I have got to performing with Liza was with Christine Pedi at my show. But Pedi is a legend in her own right so in many ways it was equally thrilling.



CC: Pedi is one of my favorite performers. I love her! You are so lucky to have had her in your show. Tell me about "Somewhere That's Pink".

TD: Well we love pink at my house. How can you not it is so fun! The Song “Somewhere That’s Pink” is of course a parody of the brilliant song from Little Shop “Somewhere That’s Green”. I was putting Divas together and needless to say Ellen Greene is one of my all time favorites but I wanted to show a parallel between me and Audrey. I wanted to show why Audrey/Ellen is such a gay icon. We can all relate we all have a day dream. My friend Tom Orr is a fabulous parody lyricist and he gave me parody lyrics to Green. They were super funny but didn’t fit my show or my personal day dream. I had never written parody lyrics before but I decided If I were to do Somewhere That’s Pink it had to be about me and my “sweet little guy” (Michael). It was so much fun, I had it rewritten in 25 minutes and it has been my favorite thing to sing for two years. Since that I do all my own parody lyrics.



CC: What is next?

TD: Oh boy! I don’t know for sure. We want to do Divas I’ve done until Labor Day. After that I’m going to tour with a Stand up act I’m working on. I’m also writing a Sitcom pilot but really who isn’t….



CC: Tell me about your fantasy job.

TD: My true fantasy job would be an 8 figure pay check to spend time with my dog Parker and boyfriend Michael. My dream role is probably Peter in Boy From Oz (but I can’t dance). In all honesty though, I’m living my fantasy, I get to be on stage all the time and perform at Studio 54. I get to come home to the most loving dog and most supportive boyfriend in the world. But if you can pull any strings I’d like to replace Conan O’Brien.



CC: If you can add a diva, who would it be and why.

TD:Now that my show is all Hollywood Divas I’d like to add back Maya Days (Aida, Rent, Jesus…) I think she deserves a record deal and a few movies because she is true Superstar and I can’t wait for the day that everybody in the world knows how amazing she is. That would be the coolest reason to add a diva. It’ll happen I have no doubt.



CC: Any funny dressing room stories? Bloopers?

TD: There are many people who come and see my show over and over again because they say something always goes wrong. Very recently I was singing my parody of Fernando retitled “Fran Drescher” and I was shaking the mic stand because I think I’m a rock star and The Mic flew off the stand and into the audience. So I was in the audience looking for the mic meanwhile the band is still playing, the back up singers are still singing and I’m on the ground in the audience looking for microphone. I’m a true professional.



CC: Thank you Tom. You are a pleasure to watch.