The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Friday, February 22, 2008

INTERVIEW WITH ZOE MORSETTE!

Zoe Morsette and her PUMBAA! (It raised $9000 for BCEFA) (PUMBAA from the hit Broadway Show Lion King)
Corine Cohen: How did you get involved with BROADWAY BEARS?

Zoe Morsette: Several of my friends had costumed bears for the first four auctions, and I thought that it would be really fun and a great way to raise money for Broadway Cares. I also felt that it would be a way to honor the many friends I've lost to AIDS, especially Clinton Smith, one of my best friends from college, who really lived his life to the fullest until the day he died, Feb. 3, 1994. Clint would've LOVED the bears.


Corine Cohen That is touching! How many hours did it take to make Pumbaa? How did you choose the Bear you were going to create?

Zoe Morsette: As my collaborator Andrew Benepe said, "It was only a matter of time...." when I suggested that we do Pumbaa. Andrew's studio, ABS Art Effects, has built every Pumbaa body (excluding the wig, shoes and undersuit) since the beginning. We've worked together on many Disney character costumes in his studio over the past several years, especially this one. We spent a total of about 200 hours on the mini version, which is a third scale of the stage costume.

Corine Cohen: 200 hours! No wonder it is so fabulous! How many years have you been making the Bears?

Zoe Morsette: This is my seventh year!

Corine Cohen: Have you made any others? I love the Pumbaa!

Zoe Morsette: I've made King Arthur (Camelot); Mrs. Potts (Beauty and the Beast); Milky White the Cow (Into the Woods), also with Andrew's help; Ruprecht (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels); bear in a cake costume (The Goodbye Girl); and last year the Crocodile from Peter Pan. I've actually worked on most of these shows.

Corine Cohen: That is incredible. Will you design one next year?

Zoe Morsette: Absolutely!


Corine Cohen: Do you have a favorite show on Broadway?

Zoe Morsette: I thought that Spring Awakening was one of the most exciting shows I've seen in a long time. I also like The Seafarer; what an outstanding cast! And for the look of it alone, The Lion King still wins hands down.

Corine Cohen: I agree about Spring Awakening! Loved the Lion King as well! How did you get involved in this business?

Zoe Morsette: I grew up on Cape Cod where I saw many shows with my mom at the summer theatres there. When the house lights went down, I was absolutely transported and knew that I wanted to work in this business, whether it was onstage or backstage. I studied acting and dance from the age of ten, and have a degree in Theatre and Dance from Skidmore College. I've worked in the theatre ever since, as well as TV, film and advertising.

Corine Cohen: Thank you for your time, Zoe! It was a pleasure meeting you at Broadway Bears and thanks for doing the interview!

Zoe Morsette: It was my pleasure!
Interview by Corine Dana Cohen
Photo by: Michael Portantiere.
For more information on how to donate to BCEFA: http://www.broadwaycares.org/