The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Interview with Orville Mendoza.


Photo of Orville by Maryann Lopinto.


ORVILLE MENDOZA (Hans Clodhopper, 1st Blind Mouse, Emperor, Papa Bear, Frank Wolf): Broadway: Pacific Overtures. Off-Broadway: Romeo & Juliet (The Public/NYSF-Delacorte), Adrift In Macao (Primary Stages, Drama Desk nom.), Antigone (NAATCO), Ivanov (The Mint), The Romance of Magno Rubio (Ma-Yi), Rashomon (Pan Asian Rep.). Nat’l Tours: Miss Saigon, The King And I. Regional: Long Wharf Theatre, La Jolla Playhouse, Philadelphia Theatre Co. (Barrymore Award, Adrift in Macao), Laguna Playhouse, East West Players, St. Michael’s Playhouse, The Muny. TV: Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Eskimo Dad for “Thomas’ Waffles!”(From BYE BYE BIG GUY WEBSITE)

Interview with Orville Mendoza
By Corine Cohen for Corinescorner.com.

Orville Mendoza in his Drama Desk nominated role In ADRIFT IN MACAO with Michelle Ragusa.
At the Drama Desk Awards VIP parties I chatted with Orville Mendoza. He is one of the most gracious people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Here is an interview of his newest project BYE BYE BIG GUY. Go and get your tickets.
http://www.byebyebigguy.com.



Corine Cohen:Where were you born?

Orville Mendoza:Manila, Philippines


Corine Cohen: What made you decide to become an actor?


Orville Mendoza:I think I just knew from an early age that I was going to be an artist of some sort. It didn't really seem like a choice to me much like my eye color or my skin color. It became painfully obvious in school that I'd rather be reading Albee than my calculus books. Also, being completely addicted to television during my formative years sealed the deal. I would have killed to have been a Mouseketeer!


Corine Cohen:How cute! I could see you as a Mouseketeer! I saw you in ADRIFT IN MACAO and you blew me away. How did you get that part and what did you do to prepare? You are so funny!


Orville Mendoza: Well, thank you for the kind words! My whole time working on ADRIFT IN MACAO was a complete dream come true. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that this immigrant boy from the Philippines who grew up in the California high desert listening to Broadway show albums (checked out from the local library) would one day live in New York City, make his living as an actor, and originate a role in a new Christopher Durang musical!

When I went into my first audition for MACAO, it was one of those rare moments where I read the script and a light just clicked on in my head that said: "I totally know this character...I completely understand this humor!" It felt so comfortable to me. Being the attention-starved ham that I am, I'd been doing these characters my whole life.

Tempura was an extension of all these crazy stereotypes that I had grown up seeing. It was very empowering playing this character. I felt it really spoke to just how silly these stereotypes are in a fun non-didactic sort of way. In light of this, I always tried to find the reality in the humor. I find that people laugh the most when there are things that they can identify with. When they can say, "Oh, I do that!" or "Man, I know someone just like that!" That's what makes people belly laugh. So it was a challenge to always stay grounded in reality through the mask of this "stereotype." It also helps to have no shame and not be afraid to look like a complete idiot (I think I have that in spades). I am forever indebted to our brilliant director Sheryl Kaller and to Mr. Durang for helping me "stay the course" as it were. Also, Chris is one of the most generous men I've ever worked with. It was an honor working with him and learning from him. Peter Melnick's wonderful music completed and enhanced this zany character. Peter is another generous and wonderful artist.

Corine Cohen:You made the show a joy to watch! Tell me about BYE BYE BIG GUY. What can we expect and what role do you play?

Orville Mendoza:You can expect to encounter opportunistic dwarves, alcoholic miller's daughters, loose princesses, and tight harmonies. The show is a send up of Hollywood memorials and roasts using characters that are near and dear to our childhoods with an adult twist...oh, did I mention that there's also simulated nudity? I play many characters but mostly the much maligned Hans Clodhopper who's trying hard to make a splash as the next big fairy tale star but is lacking in the publicist department. It's a fun and zany show that allows me to get in touch with my sensitive fairy-tale side. We're at the Lortel Theatre for FIVE shows only! Check out the Fringe web site for our crazy curtain times. They're all different so please check out the site.



Corine Cohen: Do you prefer campy roles or more dramatic roles?

Orville Mendoza:I've been blessed in my career to be able to go back and forth between comedy and drama, straight plays and musicals. I hate classifying myself as a "musical theatre performer" or a dramatic actor or a comic actor, etc... I approach every role in the same way with an interest in finding the truth of the character whether it be for comic purposes or dramatic ones. I want to know what makes the character human, what his faults are, what his strengths are. It's all the same to me. In comedy, things are just a little more heightened (or a lot more heightened depending on the style of the piece). And, yes, comedy is definitely harder.


Corine Cohen:You make it look so easy! What do you want to do next?

Orville Mendoza:Theatre is, of course, my first love and I'm lucky enough to get asked to do a ton of readings of new pieces every year. There's nothing like creating a new character from scratch. But I'd also love to do a major motion picture or a sit-com. Why not? Actually, I would REALLY love to host a show on Food Network or Travel Channel. You know, one of those shows where you travel around the world staying at 5 star hotels with shots of me getting a massage and indulging in fantastic cuisine. Kind of an average-joe takes on the good life sort of thing. Yup, that's what I want!


Corine Cohen:I hope someone is smart enough to hire you for that. In fact, I wish we could host that show together. Who do you most admire in theater?


Orville Mendoza:1: Randall Duk Kim - a great Shakespearean actor who happens to be Asian.
2) I'd love to meet and maybe work with Sarah Jones in some capacity. Her "Bridge and Tunnel" totally rocked my world!
3) My very first small-town acting teacher, Polly Fitch, for opening the door to the big bad world to me beyond the high desert.


Corine Cohen: What are your top ten things to do in NYC?
Orville Mendoza:
1) Running in Central Park (I don't do it often enough, but I feel my cholesterol drop instantly when I do).
2) Getting a bite to eat with my best friend MaryAnn (anywhere in the city we happen to be at the time).
3) Dim Sum in Chinatown, Ferrara's Pastries in Little Italy, Pink Cake at Amy's Bread (see #2 thus creating the need for #1).
4) Watching a movie with my partner, Brian, at the Magic Johnson Theaters in Harlem (where talking back to the screen is not only encouraged, but it's required).
5) Grocery shopping at Fairway after midnight.
6) Seeing a Broadway, Off-Broadway, or Off-Off-Broadway show!
7) Being in a Broadway, Off-Broadway, or Off-Off-Broadway show!
8) Getting a haircut from Barber Bart! (he's like a one-man day spa)
9) Spending an afternoon at the Library for Performing Arts watching archives of old Broadway shows (once a theatre geek, always a theatre geek).
10) Free Shakespeare in the Park, of course!!!

Corine Cohen: Do you have a favorite restaurant in Manhattan?

Orville Mendoza:Do I ever! There are so many. Which one to choose?
Okay, here are my top 3 in descending order:
3) Amy Ruth's on 116th St. in Harlem for soul food.
2) Daisy May's BBQ 46th and 11th. Their tender meat-falling-off-the-bone beef rib will feed you for a couple of days.
1) SAIGON GRILL on Amsterdam & 90th!!! Did someone say pork chops? I could eat here everyday!


Corine Cohen!I love all of your choices! List five things people should know about Orville!
Orville Mendoza:
1) I'm an excellent driver.
2) I'm Advanced SCUBA certified.
3) I used to work as a Phlebotomist when I was going to school (I'll let you Google that).
4) I was a breech baby (born feet first...I guess you could have Googled that too).
5) I'm an avid knitter. I've made 5 sweaters, countless pairs of socks, scarves and even a couple pair of FINGERED gloves (mittens are for beginners!)
BYE, BYE BIG GUY
A Musical Memorial Spoof
Performance Schedule

Monday, August 20, 2007: 11pm
Tuesday, August 21, 2007: 8:15pm
Thursday, August 23, 2007: 3:45pm
Friday, August 24, 2007: 6:30pm
Saturday, August 25, 2007: noon


call 212.279.4488 to order tickets!



Thank you, Orville. I can't wait to see you in BYE BYE BIG GUY.