The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Don't Sing Out Louise. No Need For A Mike, Martin Vidnovic!









Martin Vidnovic In Concert.
Photo Coverage by Maryann Lopinto.
Comments by: Corine Dana Cohen
I have been a fan of Martin Vidnovic ever since I started seeing him at Town Hall in numerous concerts by the Siegel's. His voice is outstanding especially off mike.
In fact the one problem with his show was the sound. He has a strong, gorgeous voice and plays the METROPOLITAN ROOM as if it was Town Hall or a big Broadway house. The first five songs were loud and would have been a lot stronger off-mike. (Don't sing out Louise is all I kept thinking especially after he talked about his daughter Laura)(Laura was fabulous in Gypsy at City Center)

The last 7 or 8 songs were fantastic. Especially when he sang softer and when he sang from Oklahoma and did some old favorites.

Favorite moments:
Dying Cowboy- Although I think he did this one at Broadway By The Year. He is very funny and this number is hysterical even if I did see it before.

I AM WHAT I AM- LA CAGE AUX FOLLES.

My favorite number was from an Opera and sadly, I don't remember the name of the song but it was the most moving song of the night. I do remember that it was sung by Marty's favorite performer, Sergio Franchi.

I hope to catch Martin Vidnovic at the next Broadway Unplugged. Until that happens you can catch him in the Fantasticks at the Snapple Theatre.