The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Interview With Euan Morton.



Interview by Corine Cohen

Photos by Maryann Lopinto




Euan Morton, a native of Scotland, received an Olivier Award nomination for originating the role of Boy George in the musical Taboo. He moved to New York in 2003 to reprise the role on Broadway, earning Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle and Drama League Award nominations, as well as the Theatre World Award (for Outstanding Broadway Debut). He recently earned a 2006 Obie Award for his appearance in Measure For Pleasure at the Public Theatre. His other stage appearances include title roles in: Tony Kushner's adaptation of Brundibár at the New Victory Theatre and Berkeley Rep; The Who's Tommy at the Bay Street Theatre; and Caligula for the inaugural season of the New York Musical Theatre Festival (2004 NYMF Award for Outstanding Individual Performance). Off-Broadway, Euan recently appeared opposite Alfred Molina in Howard Katz at the Roundabout Theatre.

Euan has recently released his debut solo CD, NewClear, and has appeared in concert in New York City at Town Hall, The Zipper, Joe's Pub and Birdland, as well as at the Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA. (www.euanmorton.com)






Corine Cohen: Euan, you have millions of teenage fans. What will you be doing next?

Euan Morton: I'll be finishing my series of gigs at New York's Metropolitan Room, then I'm off on tour with a brand new rock gig. My hot new band and I will be visiting Virginia, DC, Austria! I'll be stopping off at The Zipper Factory in New York on June 11th to play one night there too. It'll be a chance for my fans to see the show we're taking to Europe. Then in early July I will be taking the show to the high seas, performing on Rosie & Kelli's R Family Cruise!

Corine Cohen: Will catch the show at the Zipper! What was the most exciting project you have ever worked on? Was it "TABOO" and why?

Euan Morton: I've always been very lucky in that I get to do lots of different kinds of work and play loads of great roles. There are two projects that spring to mind though...recording and promoting NewClear was such a blast and I met loads of great people on my 'album travels' and I loved working on "Measure for Pleasure" at the Public Theatre. That show was excellent fun and the cast were amazing. I'm still hoping we will get to take it to Britain!

Corine Cohen: With the upcoming release of "Show Business" (The Film first shown at the Tribeca Film Festival) how do you feel about being part of the film in "TABOO"?

Euan Morton: Dori Bernstein (Showbusiness Director and Producer) got unprecedented access to many shows and seeing "TABOO" and myself as part of that is wonderful to me. Of course it can be hard to watch as it was such a strange and intense time in my life but I am glad she chose to let me be such an integral part of her movie. I don't love watching myself on screen though...and it is worse to see myself crying!



Corine Cohen:That must have been difficult! What was your favorite part?

Euan Morton: I think there are just too many fun and exciting roles to choose from but I will say that I loved singing the score to "Tommy" and playing that role up at the wonderful Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor last summer. That was a beautiful place, a great theatre and what a great bunch of songs to sing...


Corine Cohen: I love the score of "Tommy" Sorry I missed that! Who do you admire most and why?

Euan Morton: Anyone who leads a life that aims to make a positive difference in our world. I hope that I have been able to use my art to do this and there are countless examples of others doing the same.

Corine Cohen: I wish more people were like you! What music do you listen to at home?

Euan Morton: I'm pretty eclectic and listen to loads of music all the time! On my IPod right now are Keane, Joni Mitchell and Karl Jenkins Mass for Peace.



Corine Cohen: What is your favorite restaurant in NYC or beyond?

Euan Morton: I would say The Tavern @ The Zipper Factory (336 west 37th Street)...I love that place, the food is great, the staff are cool and it's a very hip New York venue. I also love 44th and 10th...for a fancier night out!


Corine Cohen: What are five things that people don't know about you?


Euan Morton: Well if people don't know them then they are private!!!!!!!


Thanks, Euan. Catch Euan on his tour or at the Zipper on July 11th. Hope to see him back on Broadway soon!