The Best of NYC - Corine's World - where it all began!

CORINE'S CORNER - WHAT'S NEW!

Friday, April 3, 2009

CORINE'S COMMENTARY- HAPPINESS AT LINCOLN CENTER.


HAPPINESS, a new musical about a disparate group of New Yorkers caught on a subway train under unusual circumstances, was commissioned and developed by Lincoln Center Theater. The production will reunite director-choreographer Susan Stroman and book writer John Weidman, whose last LCT collaboration was the Tony Award winning Best Musical Contact and will mark the LCT debuts of composer Scott Frankel and lyricist Michael Korie.

HAPPINESS unfolds the stories of a dozen or so New Yorkers stuck in the morning rush of a stalled subway car and required by the spectral trainman to recall and re-enact the happiest moment in their lives before they can continue their travels... and travails. HAPPINESS celebrates those fleeting moments in everyday lives -- typically unanticipated, largely overlooked, always ephemeral -- that upon reflection become people's fondest memories. HAPPINESS has been scheduled for a 14 week engagement at the Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater starting previews on Friday, February 27. (From LCT website)

I read some rather disturbing reviews about HAPPINESS and I must say that I don't agree with any of them.



Why I loved HAPPINESS:

If you ever had a serious and scary illness like I did this year it really changes your perspective on life. When I broke my ankle this year, I never dreamed how traumatic an experience it was. I spent 14 days in the hospital, had three surgeries (one because an intern left a drain in my ankle during the second procedure) and then I spent 10 horrific days in the worst nursing home I have ever seen. The experience changed my life and now I treasure simple things. I treasure good food. I treasure being able to walk and I treasure every day without pain which is rare. I also treasure every day and night spent at the theater but I always treasured that!

Before the surgery my motto was "IT SUCKS TO BE ME" Now my motto is "LIVE!"

Every single day on earth is a gift. Every day without pain is a blessing and HAPPINESS is a blessing with an incredible score.

Spoiler alert:

I do have to say that I have no regrets with my life. I have many moments that have been incredible. It is hard to pick one but I can share two. The first experience that really changed my life was my first love. I might go back to the time when I had my first experience with love. He was wonderful and he changed my life. The second incredible experience was when I did my first video interview at BROADWAY UNDER THE STARS. I always wanted to interview Bebe Neuwirth and Elaine Stritch as well as Carolee Carmello and the Jersey Boys.

You can watch it here:http://www.corinescorner.com/media/BwayUnderStars/video.html

On that particular night the only TV crews that attended was mine and NY 1 and all the stars talked to me like I was Barbara Walters. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life and made me realize that my dream is to interview on videotape. It is my passion and I hope that someday I can do it for a TV station. After the evening was over my videographer noticed I was crying and asked me why. I said I have never had more fun in my entire life and it was the first time. I have no regrets with my choices I just intend to live every single day like it was the last. Life is about living and HAPPINESS is a beautiful musical.

Corine Cohen